Sunday, January 17, 2010
First ER Visit
That's right, we had our first ER visit on Friday night. Lillian was acting funny all day on Friday. She woke up with a dirty diaper and wouldn't really eat a lot. She stayed with Emily and John's mom since one of Autumn's kids was sick and when I picked her up to take her to work with me for the last few hours she threw up in the car. I didn't really think it was vomit at first because she was acting normal. Then she had another dirty diaper and spit up again. So i left work and on the way home Dani and Katie text to say that Dani had won her court case and they were going to celebrate at Mac Grill. Lilly was asleep so I thought we would join for a few minutes. When we got there she had another dirty diaper (she normally has 1 a day) and was really fussy. We went home and she was acting fine again. We were playing and she dirtied another diaper. Well when I put her on the changing table she threw up all over herself, that's when I realized that she had actually threw up earlier. I called John and told him to come home and cleaned her up. We called the doctor and she told us to go get some Pedialyte and soy based formula. She said to give her the Pedialyte 1 hour after she last threw up and then feed her soy based formula after that. So John went to the store and got the supplies. An hour went by and we went into the kitchen to give her the Pedialyte and she projectile vomited all over the floor. She threw up about 3 times in about 5 seconds. It came out of her nose and blocked her airways so we had to pat her back and suction her nose so she could breathe. I called the doctor back and she said that if she throws up again to take her to the ER. John called his mom and she said that she changed a dirty diaper at her house. So total that was 5 dirty diapers, no wet only diapers, and three bouts of vomit. I really didn't know if she had any wet diapers at all since all of the ones I changed were so dirty. So I took Lilly into her room to rock her and she spit up. That was enough for John to say it was time to go. So we packed her up and headed to the ER. We got checked in and put in a room and the doctor examined her. She said that Lilly was dehydrated and that she was going to have to get an IV with some fluids. That was the worst experience I have ever had to go through. Lilly screamed so loud and for so long that she went hoarse. I'll take shots over an IV any day! They also took blood to check for a virus (which she did have.) After they got the IV in and the fluids hooked up, John laid on the bed with her and they both fell asleep. A few hours later the nurse came in with some formula. We fed her 1 ounce and she kept it down so they sent us home. They told us to follow up in the morning at Mid City. It was about 2am when we left and Lilly was exhausted. I was terrified that she would throw up in her sleep so we put her in the bouncy seat in our room. We all slept in and went to the doctor around 10:15. The doctor said that she looked good and to continue on the soy formula. She said to give her Pedialyte if she starts having diarrhea, which she had not been having. She was fussy the rest of the day, but never threw up. When we changed her clothes to put her in bed (we skipped the bath since she was pretty much asleep at this point) she wet her clean diaper. I was happy since that was a good sign of hydration. Then I was giving her her last bottle and she dirtied her new clean diaper. We changed it and it was definitely diarrhea. We put her to bed at about 7:30, around 9 we heard some loud noises in the monitor and went in her room to check on her. She was still asleep, but she was sure pooping! We could not stop laughing at the fact that our baby was pooping in her sleep, I mean, who does that? Anyways, we got her up and changed her diaper and it was diarrhea again. We put her back to bed and then John woke up again at 11 to the same noise. He went in and she was pooping again. He changed her and it was diarrhea again. So he woke me up and we fed her 3 ounces of Pedialyte. We put her back to bed and she slept so badly. She would wake up and cry, then go back to sleep, then wake up and cry, then go back to sleep. John went and got her about 7:15 and we fed her a bottle of the formula. She hasn't had another wet diaper so I'm going to give her some more Pedialyte when she wakes up from her nap. I feel so bad for her. And it's terrible that I can't do more for her. If she is still having diarrhea tomorrow I'm going to take her back to the doctor. I just don't want her to have to get another IV! She also has a small rash on her neck, but I'm not sure if that is from this virus or something else. I just heard her wake up.... I'll keep you posted on what's going on.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sick babies are so sad--hope she is all better soon!
ReplyDeleteSure hope she is better!
ReplyDelete